Monday, May 6, 2013

Twin Donuts! The noms!

Growing up in the Butner home, weekends meant a couple of things: one you would be spending time outdoors running around doing something and two, donuts would be consumed.

The art of the donut (or donnies as my dad calls them) is something to be studied. Since I've moved to Boston and away from Bob's donuts, I've felt hole in my heart (see what I did there?). Bob's on Polk Street is open 24 hours. They make sure a fresh round of donuts is available right at 2am. Hot out of the fryer. Smart folks at Bob's. Known for their apple fritters, it is my humble donut opinion that You. Just. Can't. Go. Wrong. At. Bob's.

So, finding myself in Boston with a donut hole in my heart, I've been doing research on where to find the best local fried dough. And considering that if you yelp donuts in Boston, you're thrown back pages and pages of reviews on Dunkin' Donuts, I needed to do some digging to find a real mom 'n pop place. This article on Boston's independent donuts shops helped a lot. If anything, created a checklist for me (and a sure increase in trips to the gym - ugh - I digress).

Enter Twin Donuts. Or twin donuts as you can see from the awesome and stellar neon sign that acts as the pearl gate to donut goodness. A bike ride away in Allston, this place is legit. Old School like nobody's business. No frills here, just honest to goodness calories and, well, goodness. You can grab a donut from the counter, or sit down to be served standard breakfast fare like egg combos, brekkie sandwiches, flap jacks and omelets. The healthiest thing on this menu must have been the... errr... let me get back to you on that.

On to the donuts. Since I'm in Boston, I took a chance to snag the last Boston Creme (and this was only at 9:45am) and a Honey Glazed. Now where I come from (the West, remember here, people), this Honey Glazed thing was new to me. I guess as the donut traveled West, we dropped the Honey and called it just plain Glazed. Regardless, both donnies stood up to the test. I left satisfied and charmed.

So, twin donuts, thanks for filling that donut hole in my heart. See ya again real soon.

-xo-
eb





(And speaking of indy donut shops, if you ever find yourself in Sisters, Oregon get thyself to Sisters Bakery - no joke, one of the best donuts I've ever had in my life. Perfect for Bachelor skiing mornings.)

No comments: