Monday, May 13, 2013

Oh, Daddy, oh!

Sunday morning started out with a mission: adventure. A friend and I, searching for fun food choices, debated our options. The Cape?! No - too dreary of a day. Portsmouth?! Ok, yea, great idea! And shortly rethought when the friend remembered they had to take their dog out later. Ok, so scratch adventure, let's head across the river to Somerville for PLAIN OL' GOOD EATS. 

We stopped first at Highland Kitchen. One of my favorite places to eat and hang in Somerville, it was freakin' packed. Like eight people deep at the bar freakin' packed. Every Sunday, they hold a live country and bluegrass brunch, and remember where I'm from everyone? Well, guess what. I like country and bluegrass. And I've been dying to try the brunch at Highland Kitchen. So, imagine my disappointment when the hostess said the wait would be an hour and a half. So, scratch that, too.

My friend had heard of a new joint down the way called Daddy Jones. So off we went. An unsuspecting building that lays off the beaten path, this ol' Daddy looked hip from the outside. Walk inside and the decor is definitely clued in. There are some really charming parts about this place. While very low key, I think it'd be a great neighborhood place to hang. Owned by a Greek woman, the dinner menu hints to lots of Mediterranean goodness, with nods to mezza plates, skewers and things topped with feta, peppered in with American classics like mac 'n cheese and meatballs. 

We split a pancake FTT (that's For The Table here people), which was amazing. They make the batter from scratch. And while they forgot to add the requested blueberries in, it was my favorite part of the meal. My brekkie companion ordred the herring, which was served with grilled romaine and two poached eggs. It was delicious. Fresh and salty. Nom. I opted to stay classic with a cheese omelette and breakfast potatoes. I was a little bummed at the lack of healthy brekkie options. I would have loved to see a little green on my plate. It was also a tad over salted, but I definitely left satiated. I'm not sure what I'd order if I returned for breakfast, but I'm definitely looking forward to return for dinner and drinks.

Oh, Daddy, oh!

After our Somerville exploring, we cruised back to the South End where we ended our extended morning adventure with a Aperol Spritz (ok, and a spicy margarita) at Toro. Noms the word. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

-xo-
eb


Slick outside, eh?
Love the gray painted brick.

Really digging the type on the windows.

The inside has TVs that plays different episodes of the Cosby Show 24/7.
Me thinks we all have a little to learn from the lovely Huxtables.
 
Nice little touch of gold lockers of glassware.
Totally doable at home for cabinet sub.

Mmmm.... Morning Margarita.
(Seeing a trend here, people?) 

A peek at the brunch menu.

A friend ordred the Harvey Wallbanger, which was delicious.
They used frozen OJ as an ice cube, which melted as ya drank.
So nommers at the bottom.

Here fishie fishie!
Want a flapjack?!

Eggs 'n cheese.
Yes, please.



Nothing better than ending the escape with an Aperol Spritz back in the South End. 
Haven't had such a stellar one since sipping on one in oh so fair Verona.

No comments: