Sunday, March 18, 2012

Only in Boston: The City of Jaywalkers

Well, my first weekend in Boston has come and almost gone. I can say I sent maybe half of it walking the city. And one thing I've learned about Bostonians and they're walking?

Everyone in Boston jaywalks.

And they don't just jaywalk. They seem to walk straight into traffic. Its like watching a constant game of Frogger.

Today, I watched a dressed-for-church elderly couple cross the street against the walk sign, and as a car speed toward them through their green light, the man (spunky old guy I guess), yelled obscenities at the zooming car. I'm all for yielding to pedestrians, but it seems to me that some Bostonians are lucky they've crossed the road and reached other side.

It was a good first weekend. Filled with lots of Irish pride, high temperatures and sunshine. Some pics from my various strolls:


Hello, sunshine.

May the road always rise up to meet you...

The Lone Stranger.


The movers get here tomorrow to delivery my boxes and furniture, and then it's time to switch into full gear decorating the new apartment. My old apartment in San Francisco was great. Lots of white wainscoting, natural light and space. This one is very East Coast (in my West Coast mind). Exposed brick, older (read: historical, it was built in 1858) and a great new challenge in decor. FUN! Pics to come.

In the meantime... left, right, left, everyone.

xo,
eb

1 comment:

Megan Dempsey said...

Hi Erin! Congrats on your move to Boston, it will be fun to read about on your blog! We'll be in NY in a couple of weeks so I relate to the relocation experiment. Hope the new job goes well! xx megan