Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pittsburg Ain't the Pitts One Bits

I took a quick trip down to Pittsburgh for a work trip last week. We just landed a new client who's headquartered there. I have to say that I wasn't expecting much - but was incredibly and pleasantly surprised at the city. 

It's a very salt of the earth type of town; it's history is obviously built on old school industry - in 1911 it was producing half the nation's steel. This makes for some pretty beautiful architecture and creates an overall feel of Americana. Lots of interesting bridges dot the city skyline, it almost feels a little like Portland.

I was surprised how hip it is. There is a HUGE bicycle subculture. We stumbled upon a rad little bar that could have been plucked from the Mission. OTB Bicycle Café offers regional brews and burgers with peanut butter. Yay, that's a big thing around here. PB & Burgers. I've decided I'm a fan. Bikes and their parts decorate the entire place. I can't wait to go back. 

We caught a game at PNC Park. What a great ballpark. It faces downtown, the city buildings basically feels like they're spilling into the park. It'd be a great place to catch the 4th of July fireworks. 

The economy took it's toll on Pittsburgh, but it's proved to be a pick yourself up by the bootstrings type of town. It's now peppered with start ups taking advantage of inexpensive rent and a change of scenery. There's even a strongly supported rumor that Pitt is next on the list to receive an Ace Hotel. If that doesn't say hip, I don't know what is. 

All in all, I am now officially a fan. 

xo, 
eb

Beer me.

Arrrrrrrgh Matey - Go Pirates.

Sunny Steel.

No comments: