Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boats over Bikes in Boston

I love my bike. 

In SF, I rode to work, so I got my fix of bike love daily. But here in Boston, if I hopped on my ride in the morning, I'd be hopping off a mere four minutes later when I arrived at my office. Boo. 

So now that biking is out for commuting (tear), I took to the city to find a good weekend ride. After some research, I decided on an 18 mile loop around the Charles River. 

One thing I learned: It's boats over bikes in Boston. 

The scenery was amazing - looping around all the sailboats out enjoying the sun and the historic boathouses was a great way to see the river. But as for the trail itself? Boo. And ouch. Bumpy and poorly maintained, riding this trail was painful. Tree roots caused cracks and uneven surfaces, narrow paths ensured a slow and at times, an almost stop and go ride. There were parts of the trail that had so much debris, rocks and dirt that my little single speed whip wished it was a mountain bike. 

Biking and maintaing bike paths seem to take a back seat to other outdoor activities here, mainly boating and sailing. I'm confused as how Boston was named the 4th Best Biking City in the US. Am I missing something? I have heard that the city is trying to improve city bike lanes, so I guess we're headed in a good direction. Time shall tell...

Anyways... after riding for a few miles bummed out, things took a dramatic and amazing turn. Come to find out, every Sunday, Memorial Drive (which boarders Harvard) shuts down to all car traffic. The Drive is sandwiched between gorgeous historical buildings and a great leafy park overlooking the Charles. There were families on bikes, kiddos skateboarding, picnicking persons and an overall sense of goodness.

I treated myself to a watermelon blueberry basil popsicle from Ocean Ave's Popsicle cruiser (think beach cruiser meets freezer). Nom. I want to head back this weekeend to try the taco and BBQ trucks.

All in all, it was a great way to spend a hot spring day in Boston. And yes, bike, I still love you.

xo, 
eb

Boston's Gate: Not as red as the Golden one, but still a sight.

Biking paradise every Sunday! Yay for Memorial Drive!!!

Sailing away.

Boats on the bike path. No biggie.

I deserved this.

No comments: