Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Home cookin'

If you've read any of my previous posts, you know one thing: I love to eat out.

To me, my perfect night out and about is a good dinner with great friends. I love the ritual of trying new food with a great bottle of wine. There's no better way to catch up with a someone or, when I'm dining solo (which can happen in a new city), it's the best way to people watch and people meet. I've met some amazing new friends when dining by myself at the bar of a great neighborhood restaurant.

However, as you can imagine (for the sake of my health and my bank account), I do make my food from time to time. Although I'm not a natural wiz in the kitchen, I'd like to think I do an ok job. I try to cook with simple ingredients. You can't go wrong with olive oil and lemons with a little salt and pepper to taste. And of course, when I'm feeling hungry and a little lazy and want to eat at home, nothing is better than an amazing cheese and a baguette.

Check out some of my favorite home cooked meals.

xo,
eb

Nom pie: fresh mozzarella and goat cheese, tomatoes, red peppers, fresh basil with olive oil

Nom queso: local pepper jack, Wisconsin cheddar, queso fresco and goat cheese
with sauteed jalepeƱos, peppers, onions and garlic. 

Classic. My favorite New England bakery, When Pigs Fly, make the best and nuttiest loafs.

My go-to: Arugula salad with olive oil and lemons, topped with parmigiano reggiano and
Atlantic salmon (not as good as Chinook, but still delish!), with asparagus and sweet potatoes.

Sauteed garlic shrimp Mexican medley: black beans, cabbage mix, peppers and cotija cheese
on a olive oil fried tortilla.

Nom, breakfast. OJ. Veggie egg scramble with asparagus, red bell peppers, spinach and goat cheese.
Greek yogurt with Maine blueberries, topped with Bob's Red Natural Honey Almond Granola.

My first time making tuna. Guess what! It's really easy. 
Seared ahi tuna steak, with asparagus and sweet potatoes.

My new jam! Southwest Stuffed Peppers. 
Peppers stuffed with black beans, red quinoa, peppers, onions, corn, cilantro
and topped with lcoal pepperjack.

And yes! 
I buy mostly fruits and veggies.
I try to buy local, organic and sustainable.
Unless of course, it's cheese ;)


No comments: